First of all, did you know my first cookbook got published? It’s called Cookbook #1: A French Girl’s Cooking Adventures in Her Kitchen, and it’s available online, you’re just a click away, RIGHT HERE!
It sounds like it’s becoming now a habit, when weekend comes, to suggest to you guys a fresh Summer Salad on Saturday mornings ! Probably because the timing is right, as Saturday mornings are perfect to go to the farmers market and buy fresh, nice and shiny vegetables for the week to come.
Today, I’m choosing to make for lunch a single dish that combines entrée, main and dessert, all at once. If you’re as well in the mood for preparing a quick meal, fast to eat yet tasty and refreshing, that could be your option !
Here is my Grilled Shrimp, Melon and Fennel Salad. For those of you who might feel confused here and wonder what the heck there is to eat in that single-piece-menu, Entrée is the Fennel, Main is the Shrimps (added to the fact that there is quite some fennel for a real consistency, coz a woman still got to eat !), and Dessert is the Melon.
- About a dozen shrimps for 2 servings
- The juice of a big lime (or 2 small limes)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Minced shallots or minced onion (a large quarter of a big onion is enough)
- Cayenne pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 big bulb of fennel
- A quarter of a yellow melon or half an orange melon (or more if it’s a really small one and if you feel like having more dessert today !)
- Prepare the marinade by combining in a bowl the lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper, Cayenne pepper flakes, minced shallots or onion and olive oil.
- The shrimps need to rest for 30 minutes in the marinade. Cover the bowl with a plastic film and cool in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, grate the fennel in a mixing bowl and remove all pieces that couldn’t be mixed because of too much fibers.
- Cut the melon into bite size pieces. Combine to the fennel.
- Cook the shrimp in a hot pan with a bit of marinade that will naturally come with the shrimps.
- Add them to the salad, and pour the remaining cold marinade over all the ingredients. Gently stir to combine and enjoy your diet healthy meal !
Created and Written by Sophie Rebibo-Halimi, © 2015 All Rights Reserved.