First of all, did you know my first cookbook got published? It’s called Cookbook #1: A French Girl’s Cooking Adventures in Her Kitchen, and it’s available online, you’re just a click away, RIGHT HERE!
Today is THE day I lost 10 kgs, and for that reason I’m writing a post about it because it’s just amazing and I feel proud of myself. I must admit it’s a long and harsh effort that I indulge myself everyday, but it’s really worthwhile. When I see myself in the mirror I look much younger than I did a few months back ! Yes, younger !! Girls and Boys, come on, follow me !!
1. First of all, you need determination. Going through the decision-making process is one thing, but keeping focused on your objective (sticking to your diet as long as it’s necessary) must come right behind. I compare the determination of sticking to a diet to the determination one can put in quitting smoking, I mean for good. It all happens inside the mind, a big part of the success only is psychological. If your mind can’t be that strong “organ” that will be able to resist all temptations, how can your stomach not take back the lead at some point ? Think about it, and start your hard-core diet only when you’re ready to accept that as a fact.
2. Second of all, you need some organization. Not a lot, but not just a little bit either. Eating well on a long-term basis when you are not used to it may take some of your precious free time at first, but it’s necessary. Yes, it takes some time to find nice recipes of foods you’ll be happy to eat, to plan ahead your menus over a week time (in order to be able to overlook the right balance of your food choices), to go grocery shopping, and then to cook. With no or too little organization, be sure that you will very easily get back to your bad old habits, and that’s not what we want, is it ? So, get a paper and a pencil, and get or-ga-nized !
3. Make yourself happy with what you see on your plate before feeling happy of what you taste with your palate. If it looks nice, it tastes better (yes, it does). Very often, a colorful dish looks more appealing. Also, you need to forget about that cliché that says that when you’re on a diet you must eat greenish stuffs or you won’t loose a pound. Wrong, wrong and wrong again ! You need a variety of flavors and a variety of colors, no need to only go green, and no need to be a Chef either. You can find lots of easy recipes that are both tasty and colorful. Let me help you with a few examples. Here is my Garlic and Ginger Chicken & Veggies, and here are 4 Ways to Eat Fennel for Weight Loss. If you want to go vegan, prepare the Diet Vegan Spring Rolls or you can try my delicious Zucchini Crust Diet Pizza.
4. Be curious of new flavors and new veggies. Again you don’t need to be a famous chef to be able to cook most vegetables in a fancy way. Besides, I think that being curious about foods help going through a diet meal after another, because sometimes you can overcome the harsh feeling of being on diet and replace it with the excitment of a nice discovery of flavors. Go to the local farmers market or to your usual supermarket and – once a week – buy something you never bought before !
5. Do not deny the sacrifices you’ve made, and feel positive about your efforts (and your results !). You know it’s hard, but as you start feeling better in your own body, keep going and don’t even think about stopping your diet so fast ! You need to learn more, you need a longer period of time to get your body and mind accustomed to eating in a different way. Keep in mind that the process of changing eating habits is long, so don’t be fooled by the first results too fast. Your diet only is a success if you learn something about clean eating along the way, and if you’re able to reproduce over and over again balanced meals with high levels of pleasure.
Created and Written by Sophie Rebibo-Halimi. © 2015, All Rights Reserved.