It’s been a while since I haven’t cooked these delicious English Muffin burgers, wrongly thinking they were too high calories. But I recently took this new habit of checking calories on all food packages and realized English muffins were actually pretty okay. What matters more is what you fill them in with. Furthermore, my husband and I used to eat two of them at a time in a single meal, while now we’ve decided to only have one, and a light salad on the side to make it a healthier version of our lunch or dinner. Last but not least, the original version of the recipe included thick sour cream while I have found out that using Greek yogurt (with a little bit of salt) is almost the same: the taste might be a bit different, but the texture is pretty close to what the sour cream does to your palate. Enjoy my Tuna Melt Muffins!
Before you get started, did you know my first cookbook got published? It’s called Cookbook #1: A French Girl’s Cooking Adventures in Her Kitchen, and it’s available online, you’re just a click away, RIGHT HERE!
Ingredients (make 4):
- 4 English muffins
- 1 can of tuna
- 1/4 cup of scallions (white and green parts)
- 3 tbsp of minced fresh parsley
- 2 minced cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp of crushed fried onions (optional)
- 1/4 tsp of salt and Pepper
- the juice of half a lemon
- 1 raw egg
- 1 tbsp of thick sour cream (or Greek yogurt) for the mixture
- 4 tsp of sour cream or Greek yogurt with salt for topping (one per muffin)
- 4 slices of tomato
- green leaves
- Pre-heat the oven at 200 degrees Celsius.
- In a bowl, mix the tuna (fully drained off the can water), minced scallions, parsley, fried onions (optional), salt, pepper, lemon juice, raw egg and the tbsp of thick sour cream.
- On an oven baking sheet, form 4 patties the diameter of the English muffins.
- Bake 20 minutes till the patties are solid (they will still be flexible in texture though).
- Cut the English muffins in half and brown them in a toaster.
- Assemble your elaborated fish burger this way: muffin, green leaves, tuna melt, tomata slice, thick sour cream tsp or Greek yogurt, muffin.
Created and Written by Sophie Rebibo-Halimi, © 2015 All Rights Reserved.