Oil, Oil, Oil and more Oil. Yup… Sorry for that, enemies on unhealthy food please refrain from reading this page before you get a heart attack. We’re still celebrating this week the Miracle of Oil, which I tell more about in my previous post about cooking Sufganiyot aka Jewish Donuts for Hanukah.
On the first night of the Jewish Holiday of Hanukah, we lit up the first candle of the Menorah and got started with making oily food, as required to do so during 8 nights by tradition.
I have made Potato Latkes, a dish that I only cook once a year during this holiday, because My Oh My, it is so unhealthy – but tastes so great in a way! This dish presents the advantage to be quick to make, especially because there is no need at all to precook the potatoes before frying the patties. There are several complicated recipe versions but I am used to the simple and easy one. By the way, mine is suitable to vegetarians who consume eggs. Let’s get right to the recipe.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 pax)
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1/2 onion
- 1 egg to bind
- 1 tbsp of cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- vegetal oil for frying
- Heavy sour cream and apple sauce
- Peel and grate the potatoes
- Mince the onion
- In a large bowl, combine the grated potatoes and minced onion with the egg, the cornstarch, the salt and a bit of black pepper
- Heat oil in a frying pan or in a medium sized saucepan
- Form patties with a large tablespoon and gently set on oil (try to flatten the patties at best). You can prepare 2 to 3 at the same time, but do not leave them unattended.
- When the sides start to brown, delicately flip the patties over to the other face and finish cooking until brown too.
- Try to strain the oil from each patty before putting them at rest in a plate on a kitchen absorbing paper.
- Eat warm, with heavy sour cream AND apple sauce altogether for a real traditional Hanukah meal.
- Some people only choose one or the other sauce, others choose none of the sauce and sprinkle some salt instead. I like the traditional sweet version with sour cream and apple sauce! Why trying to cut on unhealthy food when it’s an event that is only occurring once a year…?! :)
Before you go, may I invite you to check out my COOKBOOK Official Page? Enjoy, and Hag Sameah!
Created and Written by Sophie Rebibo-Halimi, © 2015 All Rights Reserved.