It’s Sunday night, and a new week is about to start. Although I feel like eating healthy food, I also want the cooking week to be easy, convenient and as effortless as possible, so that I can focus on some other extra activities for a change. Making a nice stew sounds like a rather reasonable option considering all of the above requirements! Besides, I have an amazing recipe on hand and it will for sure feed us well – and more than once during the week – so it’s perfect even before it’s up on the stove. I am making Lemon Chicken with Artichokes and Capers. It can be served over rice or pasta, or just plain if you’re on a strict weight loss diet. In all cases, it’s a very healthy dish.
I used not to like artichoke that much. It felt to me like a dull vegetable, pretty insipid and uninteresting. I am not sure why but one day I’ve just changed my mind overnight and decided that I would give this veggie a chance to prove me wrong. Since then, I’ve been looking up for recipes and have found out how to use artichoke in a way that makes it more attractive. Although I now love its taste and unique texture, I admit that I also like the nutritional facts about the artichoke. It is low on cholesterol, a good source of fibers and vitamin C, as well as a good source of vitamin B3, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and copper.
- Chicken Thighs (4 thighs and 4 drumsticks, or more)
- 6 to 8 thin slices of preserved lemon
- 1 tsp of ras-el-hanout
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp of ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp of Cayenne pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 liter of chicken stock or broth
- a dash of lemon juice
- 1 can of artichoke hearts
- 2 small tbsp of capers
- On the day before, put the chicken thighs and drumsticks in a big salad bowl with coarse sea salt and 6 slices of preserved lemon. Pour water, cover with plastic film and reserve in the fridge overnight.
- When cooking time comes, combine the spices in a small bowl.
- Salt and pepper the chicken pieces.
- In a pan, cook the chicken on high heat till golden brown, without adding oil and starting from the side with most skin on (about 4 to 5 minutes per side).
- Put the chicken pieces into a cast-iron pot.
- Reduce the heat under the pan, cook the minced onion and garlic.
- Add 1/2 liter of chicken stock in the pan, lemon juice and the spices mix.
- Scrape well the pan and add it all to the cast-iron pot.
- Add 2 more lemon slices, add some water if necessary to cover the chicken totally (or almost) and cook for 2 hours under a lid.
- About 45 minutes before the end, add the artichokes and capers.
- Stop the heat and transfer all the solids to a serving dish – chicken, artichokes, lemon and capers.
- Transfer the liquid into a saucepan. Add the cornstarch, bring to a boil and beat for a minute.
- Pour the thickened sauce over the chicken and artichokes and serve immediately.
Before you leave this page, I’d be very pleased and honored that you check out the page dedicated to my Cookbook.
Created and Written by Sophie Rebibo-Halimi, © 2016 All Rights Reserved.