What’s easier than making Polenta? Just follow the instruction on the box of your ready-to-use polenta, and add your own twist as I did today. No headache nor complicated preparation allowed, keep it as simple as possible because Sunday’s home cooking should be easy and healthy. Those are basic ingredients in my region, as Greek Feta and cherry tomatoes from Provence are very common and cheap ingredients by the Mediterranean Sea. Polenta comes from Italy, and is very easy to come by in Nice where we eat that a lot too. For you, history lovers, you’d find interesting to know that Nice used to be a County and used to be part of Italy, it was translated into Nizza back then. Nice came back to be a part of France in the year 1860, but we kept strong Italian culinary customs, habits and influence around here.
This Polenta could be sufficient on its own if you are a vegetarian, or could also be a nice side dish for meat lovers. I have done so myself by eating my polenta along with a nice juicy Roast Beef with Garlic, Herbs and Olive Oil that you can read about here. In the meantime, here is how to prepare my Polenta with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Feta Cheese.
INGREDIENTS (5 serves)
- 125 grams or 1/2 cup of polenta (corn semolina)
- about 700 ml of boiling salted water
- a dozen cherry tomatoes (or more)
- Greek feta cheese
- a bit of minced garlic, parsley, thyme and rosemary with a tbsp of olive oil
- Boil water in a saucepan and add the salt.
- Pour the polenta in the saucepan.
- Immediately start stirring the polenta with a wooden flat spoon or spatula, and continue doing so, constantly, during 5 minutes. The polenta must detach from the saucepan while you keep stirring.
- After 5 minutes, stop the heat and immediately transfer the polenta into a flat oven baking dish.
- Leave at rest for at least 30 minutes. An hour is ideal for the polenta to harden up inside the baking dish.
- Preheat the oven broiler, or if you don’t have one preheat the oven at 200 degrees.
- Cut squares then top the polenta with cherry tomatoes and big crumbs of feta. Sprinkle the herbs mix.
- Roast in the oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and serve immediately. Eat warm.
And before you leave this page, did you know I now have a page dedicated to the sale of my Cookbook?!
Created and Written by Sophie Rebibo-Halimi, © 2016 All Rights Reserved.