A few months ago, my Aussie friend Sue went and tried a new restaurant in Canberra, the Tipsy Bull. Among other vegetarian dishes, she ate a very well plated Roasted Pumpkin salad with candied walnuts, that I surprisingly found really attractive although I am usually not too keen on everything “pumpkin” in the first place. Or so I thought! Braving my “fears” of this orange vegetable with red-ish skin, I decided to try it out by re-interpreting the Tipsy Bull’s recipe. Slightly adapted from the original picture and description from Sue, I made last night a beautiful autumnal plate of Roasted Pumpkin over Roquette salad with mixed Seeds.
The beauty of interpreting a cooked dish from a picture and/or a description is that it gives you (and me) a full flexibility to re-create something you can almost make your own when it’s done, without the imperative to create it from scratch (which I sometimes am not good at). Some people use a visual created by someone else, then build up a recipe based on what they see, guess, or simply desire or affectionate in terms of flavors. Some others strictly use the recipe ingredients, then create a visual of their own, giving the dish a completely different look despite of the identical flavors. Both those approaches are interesting, in my opinion.
This dish is like the super healthy kind, whether you are or not on a weight loss diet. It’s got what is called negative calories, which means that it brings less calories than the calorie count your body needs to actually process this food down, so all in all it’s an amazing calorie burner. Suitable for vegetarians as well as for vegans, the meat lover that I am feels seduced by this dish too as a main for a light dinner, followed by grilled slices of walnut bread and some nice aged cheese. I am so cooking this again soon! Thank you Sue, for trying so many nice restaurants on the other side of the world!
- 1/2 pumpkin – the small red one type (I got an organic one)
- 3 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Grounded ginger
- Roquette / aka arugula leaves
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Olive oil and Balsamic vinegar to season the salad
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees C on the Roast position.
- Clean the pumpkin from its dirt, dry it off, and cut it in half.
- Slice the pumpkin, keep the skin on, discard the seeds.
- Lightly grease an oven baking dish and display the pumpkin slices in it.
- Mince the garlic and sprinkle over the dish.
- Salt and pepper, then sprinkle ginger.
- Drizzle olive oil over the pumpkin.
- Roast in the oven for 35 minutes.
- When the pumpkin is roasted and tender, take it out of the oven but leave it in the dish to keep it warm while it’s cooling down a bit.
- Put roquette (arugula) leaves on a plate, and season with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Display the pumpkin slices as is (with the skin on) over the roquette, and sprinkle both pumpkin and sunflower seeds over the whole dish.
- Serve immediately or later.
Created and Written by Sophie Rebibo-Halimi. © 2017 All Rights Reserved.